- About The Board
- The Board of Chiropractic Examiners (BCE) regulates the chiropractic profession in California. We protect Californians from licensed and unlicensed individuals who engage in the fraudulent, negligent, or incompetent practice of chiropractic. The BCE oversees approximately 14,000 licensees and 19 chiropractic schools and colleges located throughout the United States and Canada.
- The BCE was created on December 21, 1922, as the result of an initiative measure approved by the people on November 7, 1922. Governed by a seven member board appointed by the Governor, the board is comprised of five licensed doctors of chiropractic and two members who represent the public. Board members serve four year terms. The board employs an executive officer to lead a professional staff responsible for licensing, continuing education, enforcement, administrative, and other regulatory responsibilities. The executive officer serves at the pleasure of the board.
- The BCE’s annual budget is funded exclusively by the profession through licensing and other regulatory fees. The BCE does not receive any general fund monies. The BCE allocates approximately 70% of its total operating budget to enforcement related activities.
- Board Members
FRANCESCO COLUMBU, D.C., CHAIR
Francesco Columbu, D.C., of Los Angeles, was appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger on February 10, 2006 and reappointed on February 25, 2010. He has been a practicing chiropractor in West Los Angeles since 1978. Dr. Columbu has won every major title in the sports of bodybuilding and weightlifting and held a number of power lifting world records. He is a two-time Mr. Olympia and Mr. Universe, as well as Mr. World. In January 2013, Dr. Columbu was elected Chairman of the Board.
- Term Expires: February 10, 2014
SERGIO AZZOLINO, D.C., VICE-CHAIR
Sergio F. Azzolino, D.C., of San Francisco, was appointed to the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners on May 24, 2012. Azzolino has been the director at Azzolino Chiropractic Inc. since 1995. He served as faculty at Life Chiropractic College West from 1996 to 1999 and currently is an assistant professor of Clinical Neurology at the Carrick Institute for Graduate Studies. Dr. Azzolino earned a Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Life Chiropractic College West. He is a diplomate and Vice President of the American Chiropractic Neurology Board, diplomate in pain management through the American Academy of Pain Management, a Fellow of the American College of Functional Neurology and Fellow of the American Board of Childhood Development Disorders. He serves on the editorial board of journal of Functional Neurology, Rehabilition, and Ergonomics (FNRE). He was voted the Chiropractic Neurologist of the year in 1999 by the American Chiropractic Association Council on Neurology and Clinician of the year in 2010 at the International Conference of Functional Neurology. From 2008 - 2010, Dr. Azzolino served as the Northern California Delegate to the American Chiropractic Association. He is a Qualified Medical Evaluator and serves as an expert witness for disputes in workers' compensation system, personal injury and malpractice cases.
Term Expires: February 10, 2016
JULIE ELGINER, Dr. PH, SECRETARY
Julie Elginer, Dr. PH of Calabasas, was appointed to the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners on May 24, 2012. Elginer has been a lecturer at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Public Health and founder of Elginer Advocacy Group since 2011. She was a graduate student researcher at the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research from 2008 to 2010 and senior marketing manager at Amgen from 1999 to 2007. Elginer served as adjunct faculty for the Advisory Board Company at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing in 2002 and was a financial analyst for Abbott Laboratories from 1995 to 1997. She earned a Doctor of Public Health degree in health services from the University of California, Los Angeles and a Maser of Business Administration degree in marketing and strategy from the University of Maryland.
Term Expires: November 3, 2016
- HUGH LUBKIN, D.C.
Dr. Hugh Lubkin, D.C., of Elk Grove, was initially appointed to the BCE by Governor Schwarzenegger on February 28th, 2007 and re-appointed to a second term, on February 25, 2010. Since 1991 Lubkin has owned and works out of Laguna Chiropractic Clinic, located in Elk Grove. In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Lubkin is appointed as a Qualified Medical Evaluator (QME) for Workers' Compensation cases, he is a graduate of the Chiropractic Orthopedics Program (WSCC) and he works as a medical legal expert for both injury cases and professional malpractice cases. Dr. Lubkin is a former Vice-President of the International Chiropractors Association of California (ICAC). Dr. Lubkin has worked as a Professional Member, Vice-Chair and Chair of the Board.Term Expires: February 10, 2014
HEATHER DEHN, D.C.
Heather Dehn, D.C., of Sacramento, was appointed to the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners on May 24, 2012. Dehn has been the owner of Dehn Chiropractic since 1995. She earned a Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Palmer Chiropractic College. Dr. Dehn has previously worked as Vice-Chair of the Board.
Term Expires: February 10, 2016
On December 21, 2012, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. announced the appointment of Frank Ruffino to the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners. Ruffino is the Community Partnership Manager at the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility. He was Regional Administrative Officer at the California Department of Fish and Game from 2004 to 2008 and Hospital General Services Administrator at the California Department of Veterans Affairs from 2000 to 2004. Ruffino has served in multiple positions at the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation from 1985 to 2000. Also, Ruffino serves as the Vice President for Governmental Affairs for the Association of California State Supervisors. Additionally, he served as a member of the City of Chula Vista Civil Service Commission and the Coalinga City Planning Commission. Ruffino has dedicated all of his life to community service and has been a volunteer with many community organizations.
- Term Expires: November 3, 2016
- Executive Officer
- ROBERT PULEO